Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Recession: Carrot and Stick

Not that it's really affected me, because I've scarfed down more Girl Scout cookies than a whole troop should be allowed to eat in one sitting. But...is it me, or are the Girl Scouts of America skimping on the size of their peanut-butter-creme Do-si-dos these days? 

If so, they're not the only ones who have used the recession as an excuse for portion control. It wasn't that long ago that it seemed everywhere I went, people behind counters were trying to upsell me on more popcorn, bigger burgers, and larger fountain drinks. I'm sure that's still going on, but recently I've noticed a few restaurants and gourmet take-out shops around town where they're charging the same but quietly dishing up less--and also piling on the lettuce in place of other, more expensive ingredients. For all the warnings we've heard about obesity, maybe the real cure for the nation's collective weight is a down economy.

I'm going to start a running list on Friends Talking in the Night of good things to come out of the economic turmoil we're in, so please send in your thoughts. I only wish you could also drop in for a cookie! (I just ate another one when I went to the kitchen to check on the correct spelling of Do-si-dos.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Work is taking up less time, so use it to visit your friends. I visited Linda and Ralph and Sam and Julia recently. Who needs work and money?

Boissiere said...

RE: Positive things coming form downturn. A friend was in Disney World with his family last week (or so!), and said there were no lines. How 'bout that?!?

Also, my husband looked at the budget spreadsheet I sent him in 2006. So there! LOL