Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Love, Linda

I hadn't planned to be in Atlanta this week, but here I am, having gotten a phone call on Monday that my dad, already in the hospital after his second leg amputation, was having trouble breathing. Now he is on a ventilator in ICU and my mom and two sisters and I are going in two-by-two every few minutes to squeeze his hand. It's like Noah's Ark, but we are not going to save our species--or anyone, for that matter.  

The prognosis is that he will likely be on a feeding tube when he comes home, which the doctor and his ICU nurse are very high on because it will eliminate the pesky step of trying to stuff him with nutrients, which he needs badly in order to heal, via food. 

This is hard stuff, which I have generally avoided blogging about, but now it has filled so much space in my mind that I find I can no longer side-step it. One promise I made to myself when I started Friends Talking in the Night is that I wouldn't necessarily have to say everything, but that everything I do say must be 100 percent honest.

So back to my dad. I am trying to come to terms with his diminishing state. We are not talking here about the abstract problems of diabetes or a Parkinson's-like tremor or our aging population. This is my once 6' 1" father, who, until just a few years ago when his illness got markedly worse, was my very best pal. Before I got married the first time, we sat together in a restaurant and cried. And when that marriage was coming apart, he's the one who came to me and said that he knew something wasn't right and that he would love me no matter what.

We share a sense of humor and a love of history, not to mention a great appreciation for Southern biscuits. Our bond formed when I was in high school--we went to breakfast together every Saturday at a diner called Melvin's. And when I lived in New York, he made sure that I always had at least a dozen Melvin's (by then called Maria's) biscuits in my freezer. Thomas Wolfe was wrong: you can go home again when your favorite childhood foods are involved.

Now I see that what I am really writing is a love letter to my father. Because squeezing his hand and saying I love you covers a lot of territory but not all that is in my breaking heart. 

6 comments:

ralswang said...

You are amazing. This is amazing moment. Thank you for writing this. It is important to share at moments like this. You give your father and family many gifts. Keep living and loving and that is the greatest gift you can give to your life and father

Anonymous said...

Your dad is lucky to have such a good and loving daughter.

Anonymous said...

Linda,

We're all sending love to you and your family -- what an incredibly difficult time.

Your blog is wonderful - thank you.
Susannah

Delia Lloyd said...

Hi Linda
It's Delia Lloyd here, Lisel's friend. Oddly enough I have just returned from a whirlwind trip to NYC (from London) to visit my own father in the wake of a sudden (and acute) heart attack. So this post really rung true--thanks for writing it. Am enjoying your blog. All best, Delia Lloyd

Anonymous said...

Linda -
This takes me back to the weeks we spent with Bob's father as his health deteriorated and we nursed and comforted not just him, but each other. Please know that you and family are all in our thoughts and prayers.

Coffee, lunch, or playdate when you are back and settled?

Marion

Boissiere said...

My heart goes out to you. I lost my Mom 9 years ago...Super Bowl Sunday...haven't watched a Bowl since then. That said, I don't know how I'll make it if Daddy's Girl has to go on without Daddy.... Thanks for such an honest post...and for sharing your vulnerability.